Sunday, May 13, 2007

Bi-Bi-Ba-Ba-Boum-Boum


This time around, it's another release on the Mucho Gusto label: Freak Out Total Volume 3: Quebec-France-Belgique 1968-1973 Psyche Jello [MGCD005]. First things first: there doesn't appear to be a volume 1 or 2 and it's probable that the earlier titles were the Ouba and Les Maledictus Sound, or perhaps the L'Infonie releases. That's just a guess, mind you.

Be that as it may, so what do I hear on this compilation? Some psychedelia, Acid Rock, atypical one-offs, novelty cash-ins and a kazoo tune from a future Star Trek:The Next Generation composer. Oh man, but is this set entertaining!

High points, for me, are the most ridiculous ones: Quo Vadis' s "Zeppelin Party" which is an hommage to you-know-who. "Whoa Ha! Led Zeppeleen! Whoa Ha! Rock and Roll!". I had to listen to the track three times before moving on to Les Sound Track's "S.T.P. #1". There is La Volonte's "CEGEP Blues" which isn't likely to make much sense unless you went to school in Quebec like I did (John Abbott College was my school). I can't leave without mentioning Les Lunours' "Nous Sommes Bi-Bi-Ba-Ba-Boum-Boum" a cheery and spacey pop tune performed by a band who dressed up as bears in spacesuits. That project could only end in tears.

If I had to make a comparison, which I know is lazy as all get out, the set is similar to the Kraut compilations that came out a couple of years ago. Only not German.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page