Sunday, March 18, 2007

Outsider Art Punk


I'm not sure how the conversation started on the Up-Tight list, it might have been about outsider art and music, or perhaps the stories of H.P. Lovecraft. At any rate, there were several posts about Nick Blinko and his band Rudimentary Peni.

I had heard of them through the Crass Records/Anarcho-Punk connection, but wasn't familiar with any of their music at that point. I was told to check out Cacophony [Outer Himalayan Records 1987 - pictured left]. It's weird, it's intense and it is inspired by ole' H.P.. As I wasn't able to find a copy of Cacophony, I bought a copy of their 1995 release Pope Adrian 37th Psychristiatric [Outer Himalayan Records]recorded after or during, depending on the story, Blinko's institutionalization for schizoaffective disorder. I was completely blown away by it, from the booklet of Blinko's obsessive pencil drawings, to the very focused music created by Blinko on guitar and vocals with Grant Brand on bass and Jon Greville on drums.

After browsing in a local record shop, I did manage to finally buy the shop's last copy of Cacophony. It was everything I was promised. It's fantastic punk rock, if you want to enjoy it at that level. If one is a fan of weird fiction, dive into "Arkham House", "Nightgaunts" and "American Anglophile in the World Turned Upside-Down". Outsider art? Marvel at the detailed cover art.

To investigate further:

The Raw Vision interview with Blinko.

Blinko's art at the Henry Boxer Gallery.

Ian Glasper's book "The Day the Country Died". I'm told it has a chapter on R.P. It's on my 'to buy' list.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page