Sunday, October 22, 2006

Recent Purchases


Konono No 1 - Congotronics. I've posted news stories about this outfit from Kinshasa on my Up-Tight list [see link on the side bar]. Intense trance/percussion music made from car parts.

The Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics. I didn't care for it when I first put in the player, but it is growing on me. I guess what through me was that it didn't have the musical unity of The Soft Bulletin or Yoshimi.

Dave Swarbrick - Live at Jackson Lane. This documents a solo concert
recorded in 1991. Just the Swarb on Fiddle, singing and random vocal exclamations. Has several 'naughty' folk songs such as The Bonny Black Hare.

Tom Zé - Estudando O Pagode. A recent release from 2005. Easily my current favourite. It's his feminist anti-authoritarian unfinished opera...I know that sounds awful, but it isn't really. Besides how many recordings do you have that feature ficus leaves as an instrument?

Mahmoud Ahmed - Erè Mèla Mèla. This is one of the Ethiopiques series. Trance inducing groove music from the Ibex Band with Ahmed's terrific vocals
leading the way.

Ananda Shankar - A Life in Music. A two-fer cd that features his best material recorded for the EMI/Gramophone Company of India. The first disc
features the up-beat sitar/moog tunes with the second showcasing the(somewhat) quieter compositions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page