Saturday, November 19, 2005

Big Star (One More Time Pt 1)


I was surprised when I heard that Big Star was back in the studio. Was I expecting the return of ‘Radio City’? No, not really. So let’s say I approached the recording with modest expectations. Good plan.

In Space isn’t the complete disappointment that some reviewers have suggested, but neither is it a return to the glory days. There are some high points like ‘Lady Sweet’ and ‘February’s Quiet’ which are as good as anything they’ve done in the past. There’s a couple of enjoyable but middling songs like the surf pastiche ‘Turn My Back On The Sun’ and the freakout album closer ‘Makeover’. There are, however, several unmitigated disasters like ‘Do You Wanna Make It’ and the leaden ‘Aria, Largo’ which just seem to be sloppy add-ons/filler which add a drag to the proceedings. What can I say, as an album it would have made a good EP. If you are thinking of entering the Big Star universe go for a copy of the “#1 Record/Radio City” two-fer or Chris Bell’s I Am The Cosmos solo. You’ll be happier with your purchases.

Al Telstar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page